Monday, April 7, 2008

Teaching College

I went back to Don Bosco Canlubang just to get my transcipt and diploma. little did i know that the teacher-scarcity phenomenon is still raging. Without hesitation, our school registrar asked, nay, pleaded me to teach at least one subject in their english curriculum. And after much thought, i gave in. i took the dreaded World Literature to occupy me while waiting for my real job in Don Bosco Mandaluyong.
The course was apparently compressed to fifteen days. what's more, i would be dealing not with English Majors, rather, with Technical Education majors, all incoming fourth years. Whoa! i said. could i teach a crash course on world lit to a bunch of guys who might not even be able to use this in real life?
But what the heck. i need a little brushing up on my literary assets anyway. So i took the challenge, more for my development.

So far, we've just finished Ancient and Medieval literature, and we're midway with the Renaissance era. It just amazes me how brilliant these guys could be. Well, aside from coming late sometimes, i'm able to squeeze out juicy and pragmatic ideas from them. As a teacher, this is the only and the greatest consolation: that in the end, you form these young people to get the best out of life.
Looking from another perspective, i'm not yet qualified to teach college, but it's rather bringing out the best in me too. slowly, im starting to learn techniques like having to be strict in the classroom, sticking to rules and being consistent, which would be of great use for me once i step inside the High School environment.

Six days of class have gone, and so far, i'm looking forward to the remaining nine. Thank God, the PASSION hasn't burned out.

No comments: