Sunday, April 6, 2008

My First EDSA Experience

I've traveled that road a million times since I was a child.
But this time, it was like i was treading on alien soil.

We left for our lola's house in Quezon City at 2pm today, and, already seated in the car were my two brothers: Ponso at the very back of our Innova, and Gaboy in the co-pilot's chair. I surmised that neither Mama nor Papa would do the driving, so with jittery hands and sweaty feet, i hopped on and took the dare.
Going to Quezon City from Mandaluyong was easiest via EDSA. And EDSA has never been a pretty sight for me. But with no holds barred, i drove off, ever mindful of my gear-changing, my footwork and the occasional bastards dotting the lanes of EDSA.

It was an exhilarating experience having to sit behind the wheel. i observed THREE THINGS, which i never took notice of before:
1. The lanes in the infamous EDSA are never straight. they'd curve a little to the right at one point, then a little to the left at another. the most scary part is that it even grows narrow. and this calls for extra maneuvering work. (phew!)
2. My maximum speed is 60 kph. (okay, so i can hear your snickering now...) two things: its better to be slow than sorry, and, I'm just a neophyte.
3. (This is connected to #2) People really don't mind if you're slow. Yes, they'll overtake you and stuff, but it's really an each-to-his-own-car world out there. whether you drive at top speed or turtle behind the others, just as long as you dont hit anyone, stall at the middle of the road or change lanes without making any signal whatsoever, you're pretty sure that you'll come out alive.

Im grateful that we did come out alive after that grueling 45 minute drive. and im also thatnkful because today, i've grown a little more out of my hollow shell.

No comments: