Friday, April 18, 2008

It is Finished!

I officially ended my short stint as a College Professor yesterday, April 17, at three o'clock in the afternoon. It was after a whole day of checking, computng and balancing grades that i finally surrendered and said to myself, "Well, it's officially over."

Our last day of class actually was two days back. Tuesday, we watched RENT, a stunning Broadway musical about a group of young artists trying to survive the world in the midst of many troubles: poverty, the AIDS epidemic, drugs, and above all, the year's apartment rent. Talking about the movie a little bit, i'd give it ten stars for its wonderful music, powerful cast and riveting story. until now, the message of the film lingers in me because it not only is a Pulitzer prize winner, but a poignant reflection of real life, seen in a culture a lot different from ours, but nonetheless a lot similar to our human struggles.

Capping the film, we had a short discussion with the class. I was taken aback by their insights and their realizations based on the story. I've come up with my own:

1. Life is not ours. We just RENT it and pay back for it someday.

2. "There's only us, there's only this
Forget regret or life is yours to miss.
No other road, no other way,
No day but today."
- Live your life to the full. yup, i took a breather from the seminary, but it doesnt stop me from living a life as equally full and as equally fulfilling as that when i was part of the formation house.
- Regret for the past and anxiety for what is yet to come is the Devil's work.

3. How do you measure your life? not in years, not in accomplishments, not in problems nr victories. You measure your life in Love. How much have you loved? Have you loved as Jesus loved?

These suddenly made me miss my Literature class. I left them with these words: "I learned alot from you, i hope you learned alot from me too. Life is very meaningful. Find it."

No comments: