Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Josh Groban's Concert. What else can you ask for?

I was at Joh Groban's Concert.

Yup. Last night, October 17, Gala night.

My mom called me up through her cellphone around 9pm, and i had no idea what she was up to. All i could hear were orchestrations at the background and I couldnt make out the scene.

Then she spoke: "Do you hear this?"

"Yes," i said.

"Sige, makinig ka lang..."

When she says that, i'm pretty sure, i'm in for a surprise.

Then i heard a voice, speaking on the microphone.
it was not just a voice: it was the voice.
I said: "Oh my, is that Josh Groban? Are you in Josh Groban's Concert?"

And she, with an equally excited voice, whispered: "Yes! Can you imagine?!"

I knew it! And it was not the first time they've gotten complimentary tickets to concerts such as these. They were with the high ends of society, such as Piolo Pascual and Christian Bautista, to name a few.

I just couldn't but keep quiet and bask in the melodies.

Then I heard him making some spiels, and at intervals, i heard everybody's lauhter. He's a funny guy, i surmised. And not long after, he was at the piano, singing one of the latest additions to my favorites: "February Song."

Wow! Mama said that to make up for the free tickets, she would instead be the one to pay for the phone bill. And i really appreciated it right then and there.

Then i heard him sing a couple of Italian songs, not to mention his rendition of "In Her Eyes." And just right where it should be, he called Ms. Lani Misalucha to join him on stage. They sang a beautiful rendition of "The Prayer" together. And off the record, I read somewhere that Josh wasn't going to sing it on this concert hadn't Lani become his partner.

By this time, the handset was already glued to my ear, anticipating every note and every word from his show. And towards the end of the hour-long phone call, i gave myself a "last song." He then introed the song "Remember When it Rained." And it really made my day. I always thought that it was a very challenging and high song, but without flaws, he hit every single note, just as how he did in the CD.

The call ended when mama had to change phones because she was running low on batteries. but i said that that was enough for the day. I couldnt thank her enough for thinking about me, thirsting as i was for the stage and for music, in this far flung hill. She said that Josh would always remind her of me, that's why she just had to make a phone call, despite the laws of the theater.

I bade good night, but i made a last request. i wanted to see what he looked like that evening. How the stage was like. How they were like. And so i requested for a video, at least for just one song, so i could really be there.

Then, after saying my thanksgiving prayers, i hit the sack filled with the melodies of Mr. Josh Groban.

...Minus the 20,000-peso-ticket to the Orchestra seats.

No comments: